Thursday, December 12, 2013

Safely Inside

I've been thinking about the UMD student found frozen on the steps of a neighbor's house this past weekend.  I know I'm not the only parent who is disturbed and wondering how this could have happened.

When I was growing up in Northern MN we always made sure a friend made it in the door before driving away.  It was a precautionary action just as habitual as keeping a sleeping bag in your car, along with a coffee can full of survival supplies.

 I carried on with the habit with my own kids.  They sometimes chided me for doing so, but I just couldn't stop myself.

Perhaps we haven't taught our next generation to look out for each other in that way.  It's looking as though each progressive generation has a more casual acceptance of an easier lifestyle.  Previous generations could still remember a lifestyle that insisted that they look out for each other because they needed each other to survive.

We've been stuck in sub-zero temperatures here for many days.  But it doesn't seem to stop any of us from going about our business as usual.  As I drove by the house of my neighbor who lives alone yesterday, I noticed there were no fresh tire tracks on her driveway.  I stopped at the next stop sign and called her number.  She was fine, and happy to chat with me for a few minutes as I continued to drive into town.  She declined my offer to pick up any groceries for her at the store.  I just felt better knowing she was 'safely inside'.

No comments:

Post a Comment