Sunday, December 16, 2012

Who Says God Isn't In Schools?

The title of this post comes from a comment that a friend of mine made in response to one of those photos floating around the internet recently.  It says something to the effect that we are crying out to God, wondering where was He on 12/14/12 in that school, and His response was that we banned Him from our schools.  I'm sure many of you have seen it.

Who says God isn't in schools?   I believe - no, I know that God is everywhere.  And that does not stop evil people from doing harm.  God does not stop bad things from happening.  He does, however, provide us with the strength to get through it all in one piece, if we ask for it.   On the same token, he doesn't play favorites.  I feel uncomfortable when people say "We are so 'blessed'" in regards to their beautiful, smart children, or good health, or whatever good luck comes their way.  Does this mean that someone who has a child that is born with a birth defect or has a low IQ is less loved by God?  No, I don't believe it works that way.  And therefore I can't bring myself to use that phrase, "I've been blessed".

God did not turn away from those children.  God does not ever turn away from us.  We turn away from Him sometimes in our grief and pain and anger.  But He waits patiently for us to return.  He is always ready to give is the strength to get through the day, the hour, or the minute by minute sorrow.  Just keep asking.

1 comment: